1. NEVER CROSS THE STREET IN THE MIDDLE.....ONLY AT CROSSWALKS.
2. LOOK IN ALL DIRECTIONS BEFORE YOU CROSS.
3. OBEY ALL TRAFFIC SIGNS, OR LIGHTS.
4. CHOOSE THE SAFEST ROUTE TO SCHOOL IF YOU'RE WALKING, EVEN IF IT IS NOT THE SHORTEST.
5. PRACTICE THE WALKING ROUTE WITH YOUR KIDS.
6. PARENTS...WHEN DROPPING OFF KIDS, ALWAYS HAVE THEM EXIT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE.
7. MAKE SURE THEY HAVE ALL THEIR STUFF READY BEFORE YOU GET TO SCHOOL, SO THEY DON'T DASH BACK FOR SOMETHING THEY FORGOT.
8. IF ON A SCHOOL BUS, HOLD ON TO THE SEAT IN FRONT OF YOU.
9. KEEP YOUR HEAD, HANDS AND ARMS INSIDE THE BUS.
10. PLACE YOUR BACKPACK UNDER THE SEAT...NOT BEHIND YOU.
11. KIDS UNDER 12 SHOULD ONLY RIDE IN THE BACKSEAT OF A CAR!!
12. NEVER PLACE A SEAT BELT BEHIND A KID. THEY MUST FIT IN A BELT
PROPERLY (itís the law!!). THERE ARE BOOSTER SEATS FOR KIDS WHO DONíT COME
UP HIGH ENOUGH.
The Governor of California has signed a bill which will mandate seat
belts on all school buses manufactured after 1/1/02, unless the federal
government forbids it because their studies show that they would
not be safe (as some preliminary studies have shown....Mr. Traffic doesn't
believe that!!). This will affect about 1 million school children
who ride the buses.